Looking for some quick help?
or click HERE for our Fall 2023 Tutoring Schedule
PLEASE NOTE: The Learning Center will be closed from the 22nd to the 25th for Thanksgiving.
- Online Tutoring
- Math & English Placement Tool
- Study Skills Workshops
- Teachers on Teaching
- STEM Success Orientation
MENDOCINO COLLEGE LEARNING CENTER
ONLINE & IN-PERSON TUTORING
Located in the Library/Learning Center Building, Lower Level, Room 4110.
Fall Hours: August 21 - December 15
9am - 5pm Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday
9am - 7pm Tuesday
9am - 3pm Friday
Holiday Closures: September 4; November 10, 22, 23, and 24
Every student could use a little support from time to time. The Learning Center is here to help. We have computers, quiet rooms, supplies, tutors, free printing, and friendly staff to help you get the support you need to be successful this semester! Stop in to see how WE can help YOU.
Learning Support Services:
- Tutoring is free and available to all students! Tutors are available in-person and online. Please visit the "Online Tutoring" tab to see each tutor's Cranium Cafe card, view their hours, and "knock" on their virtual door to enter a tutoring session.
All tutor services can be reviewed here: Fall 2023 Tutoring Schedule.
- Need help when we're away? NetTutor 3rd party online tutoring service is available 24/7. To access NetTutor please visit your instructor's Canvas site.
- Math and Writing Labs: Instructor led tutoring labs are held daily online and in-person. Math Lab is held in the Learning Center, and Writing Lab is held in the Library. Schedules and information can be found on your instructor's Canvas shell.
- Study Skills Quick Tip Videos: Time Management, Test Taking, Textbook Reading & Test Anxiety and Test Prep videos available here. Workshops are also available in person (in LLRC, Learning Center, Room 4110) and via Zoom. Current schedule is as follows:
- Habits of Successful Students: Friday, September 1st 10-11am
- Note Taking: Friday, September 1st 11am-12pm
- Tackling Text Book Reading: Friday, September 22nd 10-11am
- Test Taking Tips: September 22nd 11am-12pm
- Note Taking: October 6th 10-11am
- Test Preparation and Test Anxiety: October 6th 11am-12pm
- Testing Services: Online proctoring is available, contact Janet Daugherty, Learning Center Director to schedule your exam.
- Math and English Placement Tool: Due to AB705, standard math and English placement testing is no longer conducted. Now, the Math and English Placement Tool may be accessed online from any device. Prospective students must log on using their Mendocino College username and password. Contact The Learning Center if you need assistance.
If you have questions about any of our services, please stop by and see us in the Learning Center.
Learning Center & Student Success Director
Learning Center Assistant
Mendocino College contact numbers:
Ukiah Campus Learning Center: 707.468.3046
Lake Center (Lake County): 707.263.4944
North County Center (Willits): 707.459.6224
Coast Center (Fort Bragg): 707.961.2200
Tutoring works! Our tutors can help you:
- achieve higher grades
- gain a better understanding of course material
- learn how to approach and complete assignments
- study for quizzes and exams
How to access online tutoring:
Mendocino College online tutors are available via Cranium Cafe (see profiles below for scheduled days and hours).
Video chat with Learning Center Tutors on Cranium Cafe
To live chat on your computer, follow these instructions:
- Have your college ID or state-issued ID card available.
- Use Chrome or Firefox for your browser. See below for technical support.
- Have your webcam ready.
- Have your microphone or a headset with a mic ready.
- When you see a green light on the page by the staff member, just click on "Knock on Door" to begin chat.
- Log-in with your MyMendo username and password.
- Enter the tutor's lobby.
*All video chats are recorded for security purposes*
For Cranium Cafe technical support, please refer to ConexED's Help Center.
Desktop PC and MAC Meeting Requirements:
The latest version of Chrome or Firefox should be used (Do not use Internet Explorer).
The web camera should be ready and activated.
Computers should have a built-in microphone or a headset with a microphone ready.
Android and Windows device Meeting Requirements:
Have your web camera ready and activated.
Have a headset with a microphone ready – your cell phone headset will work great.
iOS - Apple Device Meeting Requirements:
iOS users will need to use the mobile app. Additional information can be found on the ConexED App page on the Apple App Store.
All students have the opportunity to qualify for transfer level math and English courses! Click here to read more information about possible Math and English classes. Students can place into math and English courses using high school records and our placement tool instead of taking placement tests. In order to complete the placement tool online, you will need to know your cumulative high school GPA. If you do not know your cumulative high school GPA or have been out of high school for more than ten years, contact:
This change is all thanks to Assembly Bill 705 (AB 705). To learn more about AB 705 visit: https://www.mendocino.edu/mathandenglish
If you have questions about the Math and English placement tool, please contact the Learning Center:
Student Success Director
Study Skills Quick Tip Videos: Tasha Whetzel from the Disability Resource Center offers Study Skill Workshops each semester. Please stop or email us to find out more. She also offers these videos about Time Management, Test Taking, Textbook Reading & Test Anxiety, and Test Prep:
Thank you for making the 2023 Teachers on Teaching conference a great success! Look forward to seeing you next year. We will post updates as they are available.
Stay tuned for our next STEM Success Orientation Spring of 2024!