What is CalFresh? CalFresh is a nutrition program that can help households buy healthy foods. In California, CalFresh used to be known as the Food Stamp Program.
Students can now apply for CalFresh benefits! Who is a student? You are considered a student if you are:
1. Age 18-49 and are physically and mentally “fit” for employment.
2. Enrolled at least half-time* in regular curriculum at an “institution of higher education”** in which the regular curriculum meets the standard requirements for graduation or certification in a particular field of study.
*Half-time is determined by the institution in which you are enrolled.
**An institution of higher education is a business, trade, technical or vocational school that usually requires a high school diploma or GED; or a junior, community, two-year or four-year college or university, or graduate school. It does not matter whether a high school diploma or GED is required.
If you are considered a student, you can get CalFresh if you:
Work at least 20 hours per week, on average, OR
Are approved for state or federal work-study money and anticipate working during the term, OR
- Are a full-time student with a child under age 12, OR
- A part-time student with a child under age 6, OR
- A part-time student with a child age 6-11 without adequate child care, OR
- Are receiving CalWORKs, OR
- Are enrolled in CalFresh employment and training or another job training program accepted by CalFresh, OR
- Do not plan to register for the next school term.
Who is not a student?
The student eligibility rules do not apply to people who are:
- Age 17 and under or age 50 and older, OR
- Physically and mentally “unfit” for employment, OR
- In high school, OR
- Enrolled less than half-time, OR
- Enrolled in programs or classes that do not require a high school diploma or GED, OR
- Enrolled in schools that are not considered institutions of higher education.
If you are not a student and you meet other eligibility requirements, you should apply for CalFresh.
To apply visit https://www.getcalfresh.org/?source=mendocinocollege or to obtain more information, email our CalFresh Outreach team Katherine Escobedo & Naoto Horiguchi at email@example.com.
Phone number: 707.467.1081