1. About CWEE
  2. FAQs
  3. Faculty & Staff

Cooperative Work Experience Education (CWEE) is an instructional program that supports the concept that learning happens everywhere and is not limited to the classroom. CWEE helps students earn college credit by connecting classroom-based learning in an actual work environment. 

You can earn up to 6 units of college credit per semester while at work. You can earn credit even if you are a volunteer or self-employed. You can repeat CWEE courses for up to 16 units that apply to an Associate’s Degree and transfer to California State Universities as elective credit.

To enroll, you must already be employed. Additionally, your supervisor will need to agree to participating

All CWEE students are required to attend an orientation upon enrolling in the course. The instructor will communicate the date and time of the first orientation at the beginning of the semester. 

You, along with your employer or supervisor, will develop a Learning Objective (LO) for each credit. The LO is a measurable goal you will set for yourself to ensure expanded learning opportunities while working. The CWEE instructor will meet together with you and your supervisor near the middle of the semester to check on your progress toward the LO. At the end of the semester, your will write a self-evaluation and the supervisor will also submit an evaluation.

Do I need a job in order to enroll in CWEE?

Yes, you need to either be employed in a paid job or work as a volunteer. Student Worker positions qualify you for CWEE. You can also be self-employed.

What will my supervisor need to do?

Your supervisor will have to agree to work with you to develop your Learning Objectives, to read and sign various electronic documents, and to meet with the CWEE instructor and you to discuss your progress toward the Learning Objectives. 

Will the college help me find a job?

Please contact the Mendocino College Career Hub for assistance with finding a job. 

Can I enroll in CWEE if I am self-employed?

Yes, a person who is self-employed is eligible for CWEE, as long as they can develop learning objectives that new knowledge and/or skills or improvements in what they know and do. As a self-employed person, you will need to have someone supervise your progress in achieving your learning objectives. Your CWEE instructor can help you with this. 

What if my job is out of the area? Can I still enroll in CWEE at Mendocino College?

Yes, as long as there is a reliable way for the CWEE instructor to confirm your employment and communicate with your supervisor.

Do I have to be enrolled in other courses at the college in order to enroll in CWEE?

No. Students can enroll in CWEE without enrolling in other courses.

How late in the semester can I enroll in CWEE?

Typically, students can enroll in CWEE up to about a month before the end of the semester, at the discretion of the CWEE instructor. The specific date varies by semester; contact the CWEE instructor for the cut-off date for this semester.

Do I have to attend weekly classes for CWEE?

No. Follow the instructions in your Canvas CED account.

Can I repeat CWEE courses for credit?

Yes. You can repeat CWEE for up to 16 units.

Does credit earned by taking CWEE courses apply to a degree? Does the credit transfer?

Yes. CWEE units apply to your degree like any other elective credit. CED 195 units transfer to the California State University system, and to many private universities.