First Person: Explorations in Printmaking exhibit opens at Mendocino College Gallery
Mendocino College Gallery is pleased to present ‘First Person: Explorations in Printmaking’, curated by Jazzminh Moore. This exhibition will be on view November 7th - February 5th with an opening reception on Thursday, November 9th, 4 – 6 PM.
With an exciting mix of eleven local, national, and international artists, ‘Explorations’ speaks to both the content and processes by which these diverse artists come to make their work. The general theme ‘human perspectives on nature’ acts as a broad container within which artists push the boundaries of printmaking, exploring process, scale, color, text, texture, materials, and beyond.
The work from the 11 invited artists includes:
- Eileen Macdonald, head of Printmaking at CSU Chico, started treating paper in the same way that she would treat a copper etching plate during the mezzotint or etching process. Her works combine printmaking with paper cuts and pinpricked paper.
- Ulrike Theusner’s etchings and monotypes depict humans “trying to control the beast, the wilderness, the natural being of animals – but they can’t”. Theusner, originally from East Berlin/Weimar, currently has a solo exhibition up at Galerie EIGEN + ART in Leipzig, Germany.
- Eunkang Koh, head of Printmaking at University of Nevada, Reno, often depicts half-animal and half-human figures. These hybrid creatures represent a portrait of us as social animals and the society that we live in.
- Ben Beres, professor of printmaking at Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle and 1/3 of the well-established collaborative trio SuttenBeresCuller, explores text and process in his hand-marbled, high-key color monotypes.
- Solange Roberdeau, 2023 Mendocino Arts Champion and new adjunct faculty in printmaking at Mendocino College, includes natural phenomena to make the work – for instance by applying ink to sheets of paper and leaving them out in the rain or allowing the wind to create patterns in suminagashi prints.
'Explorations’ also features a selection of student work from Solange Roberdeau’s Introduction to Printmaking class here at Mendocino College. The college offers an AA in Art with a focus in Printmaking and recently added a new 46” x 96” Takach etching press to its Ukiah campus.
Regular Gallery Hours:
- Tuesdays: 12:00 - 3:00 PM
- Wednesdays: 3:00 - 6:00 PM
- Thursdays: 12:00 - 3:00 PM, and by appointment
- *Please see website for holiday Gallery Hours
To view more from Mendocino College Art Gallery, including our new Visiting Artist Lecture Series, please visit: https://www.mendocino.edu/academics/programs/arts/art-gallery
We hope to see you at the opening on November 9th or at future MC Art Gallery events!