Academic Renewal Regulations

When previously recorded college work is substandard (grades of "D", "F", "No Credit", or "NP"), and not reflective of the student's present level of demonstrated ability, a student may petition the Director of Admissions and Records to have the substandard college work disregarded. To petition, the following conditions must be met:

  1. Two academic years have elapsed since the substandard work was recorded, and;
  2. The student has subsequently completed 15.0 units of college work at Mendocino College or at another institution with a grade point average of 2.0.
  3. The Mendocino College permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all course work remains legible. College work from another institution is not annotated in any manner by Mendocino College, but the result of the renewal will be counted for scholarship or graduation requirements.

The student may request up to 24 total units of substandard work be annotated and not considered in the computation of the student's grade point average or requirements for the degree.

Academic renewal cannot be used to set aside semesters containing units or course work which has been used to meet graduation requirements. Academic renewal cannot be used to raise the grade point average in order to qualify for graduation with honors unless the student goes through an appeal process, through the Academic Review Committee, and that committee grants the right to honors.