For Students > Support Programs > Veteran's Services > General Policies

Students eligible for veterans' benefits while attending college need to apply to Admissions and Records for Certification of Enrollment to the Veterans Administration. Certification of Enrollment depends upon the student's being registered in the College, enrolled in classes, and requesting such certification. Less than 12 units reduces benefits proportionately:  

  • 12 units  = full benefits
  • 9 through 11 1/2 units  = 3/4 benefits
  • 6 through 8 1/2 units  = 1/2 benefits
  • 3 through 5 1/2 units  = 1/4 benefits
  • less than 3 units - varies

In addition to the academic probation and dismissal standards applicable to all students, the Veterans Administration requires that standards of progress be adopted for Certification of Educational Benefits. At Mendocino College, Admissions and Records will notify the VA that satisfactory progress is not being made and will not certify educational benefits eligibility if the veteran has been dismissed due to academic or progress probation regulations. It is the responsibility of veteran students to notify the Office of Admissions and Records of any change in their status. It is important to be aware that student benefits will change immediately when courses are dropped or completed.

Additionally, Admissions and Records will notify the VA whenever the veteran's registered units fall below those certified or whenever the veteran withdraws from all classes.

Veterans who are denied certification because of failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress may be required to resolve the problem through the VA Regional Office by an individual counseling appointment with a member of the VA staff.

For further information and assistance individuals should contact the Office of Admissions and Records. Veterans seeking enrollment certification to receive educational benefits under the G.I. Bill should contact the Office of Admissions and Records as soon as possible. Veterans who do not file for benefits 60 days prior to the start of the semester should plan for an additional 8 to 12 week delay in receiving benefits. For further information call (707) 468-3104.  

Created: December 19, 2007 @ 12:28 PM
Last Modified: May 02, 2013 @ 07:14 PM


  Copyright © 2001 - 2010     Mendocino College is not responsible for third party content.