Apply & Register > Academic Regulations > Privacy of Student Records
Mendocino College observes the provisions of the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, as amended in 1974, as follows:
- 1. Educational Records of students are not released to any individual or agency without the written consent of the student. Parents may have access to education records if the student is a dependent under Internal Revenue Service regulations.
- The Records Officer of the College is the Director of Admissions and Records.
- Education Records are maintained in the Office of Admissions and Records and include the application for admission, the transcript, add-drop cards, general petitions for permission to carry overloads and the like, petitions for graduations, official evaluations of student progress towards a degree, certification of general education requirements, DD-214 (Vets), high school transcript, other college transcripts, petitions for credit for military experience with the supporting documents, validations documents for grade changes, and high school advanced placement form.
- Students have a right to review such material to determine its accuracy. Official requests for such review should be made, in writing, to the Office of Admissions and Records at least three full working days in advance.
- Students have a right to challenge the accuracy of such records. However, the grade assigned by a faculty member cannot be changed by this process unless an error is evident. Students desiring to request or challenge a grade should submit an Academic Review Petition, obtainable from the Office of Admissions and Records.
- College officials and teachers have access under the law to the Education Records of Students.
- Directory information may be released to individuals or groups, including the following: the high school of graduation, other colleges, newspapers, official agencies of federal, state or local government, or teachers, administrators and staff of Mendocino College having a legitimate interest in the student. Directory information includes only student's name, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in activities and sports, weight and height of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards, and the most recent school attended. Any student may, by completing a Prior Consent in Admissions and Records, notify that office not to release any or all of the directory information without prior consent.
Created: May 24, 1999 @ 12:00 AM
Last Modified: July 24, 2007 @ 05:57 PM