For New Students
Frequently Asked Questions
Spring 2010 MTH 56 Intermediate Algebra (5 units)
Section 4483, 4484 Class Begins January 25, 2010
Course Description: Fundamental properties and operations of the set of real and complex numbers; linear and quadratic equations and inequalities; polynomials; factoring polynomials; rational expressions; exponents and roots; relations, functions and inverse functions; the Cartesian Coordinate System and linear functions; conic sections; systems of equations and inequalities; matrices, determinants, and Cramer's Rule; exponential and logarithmic functions; sequences and series; and the Binomial Theorem.
- Instructor: J. Edington
- Email: email@example.com
- Textbook Information:
- Intermediate Algebra for College Students, 5th Edition, Bundled with MyMathLab, Blitzer.
- Stand Alone MyMathLab Access Code (ISBN 0-13-14789-4X): Provides an electronic version of the textbook. Although this is a less expensive way to take the course, since everything needed to complete the course is online, the downside is that you must be online to study and complete assignments.
- Estimated Time Per Week: Students can expect to spend approximately 15 to 20 hours per week reading, writing, and taking quizzes and participating in online class discussions.
- Special Requirements:
- PC or MAC- If you have any other computer configuration, call MyMathLab Product Support at 1-800-677-6337 to be sure yours will work in this course:
- Operating system: PC – Windows XP or Windows Vista. Mac – Macintosh OS 10.4 or 10.5. Internet connection: Cable/DSL, T1, or other high-speed for multimedia content; 56k modem (minimum) for tutorials, homework, and testing.
- Browsers and Plug-ins/Players: Windows XP – Firefox 2.0, Internet Explorer 6.0 or 7.0, Netscape Navigator 7.2. Windows Vista: Firefox 2.0 or Internet Explorer 7.0. Macintosh OS 10.4 – Firefox 2.0, Safari 2.0, or Netscape Navigator 7.2. Macintosh OS 10.5 – Safari 3.1. Install from the MyMathLab Installation Wizard online.
- Pop-Up Blockers: To be able to access various features in the online content, you MUST disable any Pop-Up Blocker software (or hit Ctrl + the blocked link).
- Calculator Policy –Basic calculators needed for lectures and to check homework, but no calculators are allowed on quizzes and tests.
CourseCompass Course: This course uses specialized math software, Course Compass. For information on orientation, you must email your instructor by Monday, 1/25 AND visit the online math page at http://www.mendocino.edu/tc/pg/4157/online_math.html.