For New Students
Frequently Asked Questions
Spring 2009 ENG 80 Academic Reading and Writing (4 units)
Section 5357 Class Begins January 20, 2009
This course is designed to enhance your reading, writing and thinking abilities. You will work hard and learn to be a more active reader, a more proficient writer and a more versatile thinker. During the course of the semester you will practice: evaluating text for bias and credibility; "engaging" with the ideas of the authors and your classmates; developing and refining topics for your own writing; writing short, spontaneous pieces as well as longer, more prepared essays; revising and proofreading your written work; offering constructive feedback on the writing of your peers; participating in small groups; and presenting your work and ideas to the class as a whole.
Recommended: English 80 or placement into English 200 through assessment process
- Instructor: Riba Taylor
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
After the class has started, please use Etudes Private Messages for communication.
- Textbook Information: There are several texts for this course. Please consult the college bookstore or access the course syllabus through the online faculty directory.
- For more details about this course, please check the instructor's college webpage:
- Estimated Time per Week: Students can expect to spend approximately 12 or more hours per week reading, writing, and taking quizzes and participating in online class discussions.
- Special Requirements: Email the instructor after you sign up for the class. Log into Etudes the first day of class (1/20).
- Additional Comments: The entire course will be conducted online through the Etudes program. Students are required to have Internet access, an active email account, the ability to use word processing, conduct Internet searches, attach files, send emails, and work independently.
- New to ETUDES: Here is an Online Orientation (Flash presentation opens in a new window) that will show you the basics of how to use ETUDES. Here is a flash tutorial (Flash presentation opens in a new window) that demonstrates the log in protocol. Be sure to check System Requirements before getting started with ETUDES. You need to do this on each computer you use while taking a class through ETUDES.
- ETUDES Course: You will log into the Etudes classroom with the log-in information provided below.
2 letters of first name +
First 2 letters of last name +
Last 5 digits of Social Security Number
using all lower case letters)
Username = joga23333
Month Day of
birth in school records
Birthday is April 11th, 1982
Password = 0411
NOTE: If you forget your
password, you can Reset Password on the Etudes log-in page