For New Students
Frequently Asked Questions
English 200: Reading and Composition (3 units)
Class Begins January 20, 2009
Critical reading and writing based on the study of selected rhetorical examples. Emphasis on expository and argumentative writing styles. Methods of development for the college level research paper. (CSU/UC)
AA/AS area D1; CSU area A2; IGETC area 1A; CAN ENGL 2
Prerequisite: Successful completion of English 80 or placement into English 200 through assessment process.
- Instructor: Dawn Lukas
- Email: email@example.com
After the class has started, please use Etudes Private Messages or the “Questions for the Instructor” discussion forum for communication.
- Teacher’s Website (with printable advice and handouts): http://www.mendocino.edu/dlukas
- Textbook Information:
- The Student Writer: Editor and Critic, 7th Edition, by Barbara Fine Clouse, ISBN 9780073294780
- The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown, ISBN 1400079179
- Rules of Thumb, 7th edition, by Jay Silverman, et al. ISBN: 978007338798
- Note: This book is available in the bookstore. However, you can buy an e-book version (so you get a computer file of the book) for $15 less online. See the bottom of this page for directions.
- Estimated Time per Week: Students can expect to spend approximately 6 to 10 hours per week reading, writing, and taking quizzes and participating in online class discussions.
- When to log in: Log into Etudes the first day of class (1/20). Read the announcement on the first page to get started.
- Additional Comments: The entire course will be conducted online through the Etudes program. Students are required to have Internet access, an active email account, the ability to use word processing, conduct Internet searches, attach files, send emails, and work independently. It is highly recommended that you use Microsoft Word or OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) to compose assignments.
- Step-by-step Instructions for buying a cheaper eBook version of “Rules of Thumb” :
- Visit Higher Education eBookstore
- You must register for a FREE account in order to purchase an eBook
- RETURN to Higher Education eBookstore and CLICK on McGraw-Hill eBooks
- READ eBook Options, in order to decide if you will choose Online Viewing or Download
- Click NEXT
- Click on “Social Sciences and Humanities” link
- Click on “English” link
- Scroll down toward the bottom of the page, and Click on “Silverman-Hughes-Wienbroer: Rules of Thumb: A Guide for Writers, 7th Edition”
- Select eBook Type and Complete Purchase (if you choose the Online Viewing option, make sure that the ebrary plug-in is compatible with your computer and browser)
- Total Price will be: $14.78 (The Mendocino College Bookstore price for a new version of this text is $29)
You need a credit card (or debit card with Visa or Mastercard logo) to complete the purchase.
Make sure the eBook Type that you choose is compatible with your computer.
- New to ETUDES:
Here is an
Online Orientation (Flash presentation opens in a new window)
that will show you the basics of how to use ETUDES. Here is a
flash tutorial (Flash presentation opens in a new window)
that demonstrates the log in protocol. Be sure to check System
Requirements before getting started with ETUDES. You need to do this
on each computer you use while taking a class through ETUDES.
- ETUDES Course: You will log into the
Etudes classroom with the log-in information provided below.
2 letters of first name +
- First 2 letters of last name +
- Last 5 digits of Social Security Number
using all lower case letters)
Username = joga23333
Month Day of
birth in school records
using all lower case letters)
Birthday is April 11th, 1982 (04/11/82)
Password = 0411
NOTE: If you forget your
password, you can Reset Password on the Etudes log-in page